I have to say I have been pretty much terrified to go out in public with Emma! And its not because I think she is going to get sick or anything like that. Its because I can see myself at Target with her screaming like she does so well! I would have this huge cart full of stuff and she would be screaming and everyone would be staring at me and giving me those you don't have any idea what you are doing glares. And then what would I do with all the stuff in the cart - would I continue to shop? or would I need to leave to calm Emma? Would the cart just stay stranded somewhere in the middle of the store? I can see myself running from Target, red faced with a screaming Emma in my arms.
I know eventually I am going to have to get over my fear. My mom says I can't be a recluse all my life (although when I was little I dreamed of being a recluse on top of some mountain in Colorado!). I've started slowly, so far Emma, Snoopy and I have had some fun car rides and yesterday Emma and I actually got out of the car. Here's how it all went down:
It was about 1 pm and I was HUNGRY, there was nothing to eat in the house. So I decided to get Snoopy and Emma in the car and make a trip through the Wendy's drive through. The only problem was that I only had 5 dollars and I didn't know if that would cut it (remember I AM HUNGRY!). So I am going to have to get some money but my bank does not have a drive through so that means I am going to have to get out of the car. Which poses two problems the first is I'll have to take Emma in with me and the second is Snoopy does not do well alone in the car. I decide to brave it out, if I park right in front Snoopy could still see me in the window. So we get to the bank, I tell Snoopy to stay and be a good dog and I get Emma out and tell her to be a good girl. We get into the bank, I put Emma on the floor (she's in her carrier) and look back at my car. To my surprise Snoopy is just looking at me, he's not screaming like someone is hurting him and then I look down at Emma who is looking up a me with a huge smile on her face! It was like she was saying to me "see you can do this, Mom!". And I had to laugh at myself! Perhaps maybe it's all in my head that my child (and dog) want to scream in public!!
Today I have two checks to deposit which means I'll have to venture even further into the bank!
Baby steps people....Baby Steps!!
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
too funny! I am at my desk laughing! I get out of work early tomorrow, you and Emma can venture to Rockaway!
I laughed so much Kirby--hang in there!!
Lets think--if you are at Target and Emma has a screaming Smith fit--go to customer service with your basket of stuff and ask them to keep it for you --find a place--there are benches every where--and get her settled down --settle your self down --get basket and go your merry way!! Granny Bob
Once again, I feel your pain.
My fear was that I would lose her or drop her or something like that. "I'm going to make myself look like an unfit mother" is what I'd tell myself.
Just remember we judge ourselves more then anyone else is, and if anyone watching has kids, they so get it!
You need some fresh air as much as she does. Take her out and show her off to the world with your head held high because she is beautiful and so are you!
Post a Comment