Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Life with a 1 1/2 month old.....

Whew! Where did the past month and a half go??? Tomorrow Emma will be seven weeks old.

I have to say the first two weeks with her home were a dream, she slept most of the time and I usually had to wake her to feed her. We barely heard a peep from her.

Then suddenly on the third week she woke up and so did her stomach! From the third week on she's been very cranky with lots of gas. She was also eating every two hours which was such a huge strain on me - I almost gave up the breastfeeding on several occasions out of sheer exhaustion from doing it every two hours for 40 minutes at a clip. It takes it out of you for sure.

On Emma's second doctor visit she weighed 9 lbs 4 ozs and was 21 1/2 inches! So it was good to know that all that feeding was doing some good. The doctor thought she was being overfed and suggested that I stretch out her feedings to every three hours. Boy has this new schedule pissed her off!! If she's awake she's crying and since she doesn't nap much she's crying most of the day. Unless she is eating of course. So the 3 hour stretches are better for me but Emma hasn't really gotten used to them yet! Will we ever find a place where we both can be happy??

And on the other hand she has slept through the night for the past four nights!! So for that I am extremely grateful, at least when she is cranky all day I am dealing with it well rested, which I know helps 100%.

Despite everything, I can't stop thinking about what a miracle she is and how amazing the whole process has been. From the first moment we saw her as a tiny spec in my tummy to the day she was born from every cry, poop, burp and fart...she is truly a miracle. We waited so long to have her so I am savoring every moment, even the cranky ones.

1 comment:

Sarah C said...

I am so glad to see you writing about the ups and downs of new parenthood. I feel like society puts so much pressure on moms to be perky, cheerful, showered, hair done, makeup done, and cooking dinner all while holding a screaming baby in your hands! Fact is that no matter how much you love that little girl some situations are frustrating and exausting. Just know that you are not alone. Like we've said before, embrace each moment because it will pass so quickly! You sound like you have your head on straight and you are doing a wonderful job at embracing each emotion and staying postive throughout this ride. Good for you!